Southbay Civils wins CECA (NE) Project of the Year & ICE Robert Stephenson Project of the Year.
The prestigious CECA (NE) & ICE awards for Project of the Year 2011 were won by Southbay Civils for the design and construction of Western Quay, North Shields.
In 2009 Southbay were awarded the contract to design & construct new quay and frontage to existing quay along tidal stretch of River Tyne. This involved installation of 300 no. tubular piles 406mm dia 30m long from a crane located on top of the existing jetty, construction and installation of precast concrete coping units. The construction of an in-situ reinforced concrete deck 300m long by 15m wide on top of the existing dilapidated quay. A new cathodic protection system was designed and installed in-house and provision of new bollards, fenders and ladders were also included.
- Budget – The contract was awarded as a lump sum, design and build contract. The contract was completed within budget and the final account settled within 1 week of substantial completion. Only by the contractor and the designer working closely together throughout the contract was it possible to offer such a good technical solution, competitive price and successful completion.
- Programme – due to the high level of detail and planning prior to the start of the contract between designer, contractor and client(s) all the main work items were reviewed, simplified and gave certainty of duration. The original programme was maintained with completion in 52 weeks.
- On-going regeneration of the area
- Improved fendering, mooring and refueling facilities for the local fishing industry.
- Public area for local people and visitors to enjoy
- Fish Quay Festival
- Relationships with local shops and restaurants during construction.